In an effort to answer the euthanization question I searched around the internet for guidance and came across this simple quiz that helped me get a better grasp on where Buddy was as far as quality of life is concerned. I thought I would share it (and Buddy’s answers) with you in hopes that it can help someone in the future with this tough decision.
All answers are 1-10 (10 being a perfectly normal dog)
1. Is your animal in pain? 5 — Buddy is in pain, we’re just not sure of the level
2. Is your animal eating? 2 — Buddy may have consumed a handfull of food in the past 3-4 days.
3. Is your animal hydrating? 7 — Buddy is drinking, but this is a side effect of Prednisone (a med he’s on)
4. How is your animals Hygiene? 3 — Despite several baths recently, Buddy has lost control of his bowels and is basically left to lay in his own urine/feces b/c he doesn’t seem to know he has gone.
5. Is your animal happy? 4 — This was a tough one to answer. He is happy when he sees us, but not happy with his condition….
6. Is your animal mobile? 1 — Buddy is only mobile while in the wheelchair.
7. Can your animal express his/her bowels without assistance? 1 — Not since Friday….
Buddy only scores well on one question, and there’s a good chance that it is b/c of a side effect of the Prednisone.
Of course I’m not basing my decision solely on this survey, but it did help in reinforcing my decision that this was the right thing to do…. for Buddy, for myself, and for the family.
I can’t even begin to describe how hard this decision was to make. I don’t have the ability to even begin to put this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach into words, so I’m not even going to try. Given the current downhill trend it would be very selfish of me to allow him to continue to suffer. Sometimes it doesn’t even feel real that this is actually happening.
I’ve called the vet, gotten the info, now I just need to set an appointment…… 😦